Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Sharing our Heritage

Susie, at Suburban Guerrilla, has a great article about her bone-deep passion brought out by a visit to Independence Hall ("History")

Her last paragraphs show her passion:
I probably wrote about this before, but one of the most amazing moments of my life was when, maybe seven or eight years ago, they removed all the furniture from the Assembly Room during an asbestos cleanup. As a consolation prize, they allowed the visitors to walk up onto the platform where they signed the Declaration and the Constitution.

I was so excited, I could hardly breathe. Imagine, walking in those same footsteps of history. And now, the whole place is on lockdown and crawling with guards. I was so lucky to be there for that moment.

I love this country in my gut, all the way down to my bones. I am proud to call myself a patriot, and I won’t let any right-wing stooge take that away from me. This country belongs to us all, and don’t you forget it.

No comments: